What is the best camping BBQ?
Everyone loves a portable BBQ, chuck it in the back of your car or camper van and disappear off to the beach or for your weekend away at the festival. There are camping style BBQ’s for all budgets, from the ones that just hold those disposable BBQ’s (we won’t entertain those on here though!) to top of the range Webers and Char-Broil BBQ’s.
What makes a good barbecue for camping or festivals?
Lightweight, easy to store BBQ’s have got to be the way to go especially if you are using your BBQ at a festival. There is the very real thought that your little BBQ will be taken by other festival goers, so you really don’t want to spend a fortune on one. That being said, if you are intending to use your BBQ for family camping trips a number of times per year, then I would advise that it is better to spend a bit more money for something that is going to last longer.
Here we have a look at a number of BBQ’s that cover all price ranges, when you need to buy your camping BBQ, have a look at these.
Yellowstone Mini Pack Away BBQ Kit
This tiny foldable BBQ only measures 16.5 x 22 x 17.5 cm, so is an ideal space saving BBQ that you can easily carry. It comes with a carry bag, so as you don’t get all dirty when on your way home, although coming home from a festival, I guess a bit of charcoal is the least of your worries !
- space saving foldable BBQ
- open 16.5 x 22 x 17.5 cm
- easy to assemble and dissemble so can be taken anywhere
- charcoal BBQ
- comes with a carry bag
Notebook Folding Grill
Portable folding grill that folds pretty much flat, with built in carry handles, this grill is quick and easy to light, with a not too shabby grill size, which will allow you to cook for your friends. Due to its X shape it is very stable but just be careful of hot coals falling out of the handles. This doesn’t come with a carry bag, so may mean getting a bit grubby while carrying it after use.
- Portable fold-away BBQ
- Heat-resistant painted-steel construction
- Chrome-plated steel grids
- Convenient carry handles
- Cooking Dimensions: 45cm x 30cm, Height: 30cm
Landmann Piccolino 37cm Portable BBQ
A great looking small kettle style BBQ, which will allow you to have some real control over your BBQ. If you cook on a Weber BBQ at home why not try one of these when you are away and see how it compares. This funky coloured BBQ comes with a built in set of tongs, which whilst a nice feature I can see them getting lost before too long. The kettle lid clips on the the base so as it is easy to carry after the event. I can see that this BBQ will need a bit more charcoal to get going than the first couple we have looked at, so that may be well worth considering when you are looking at space, although i would guess you can fit a small 4kg bag of Heat Beads (Available on Amazon) under the lid, so you can carry it all together.
- Chrome plated 37 cm diameter cooking grill with warming rack
- Ergonomic handle with lid ventilation disc
- Supplied with stainless steel tongs that attach to the Barbecue
- Enamelled lid and firebowl with lid clips for easy transport
- Charcoal pot for easy fuel handling
Kingfisher Portable Barrel BBQ
This is a stunning looking small BBQ, reminiscent of the stainless BBQs that you see hanging off the back of sailing boats! This small BBQ is very versatile, you can use it with the lid up to provide a mini wind break or you can lay the lid flat and you get double the cooking area, you will need an extra grill though for that, unless you are doing DIRTY STEAKS, which are stunning, by the way! In fact this grill could be the perfect BBQ for that? Hmm…
This grill has a handy clip to keep it all together, so carrying it afterwards isn’t a problem.
- Portable Barrel BBQ
- Stainless steel
- Grills included
- Lay flat for double grill use
- 28.00 x 41.40 x 35.50 cm
Pinty Portable Folding Charcoal Grill
So this BBQ is a bit of a step up in price, (check link for up to date price), but is a substantial BBQ made with higher quality components, it is also bigger , allowing you to cook for more. The legs fold up , the lid clips closed and the handy carrying handles built in to the end make it easy to carry.
- PREMIUM QUALITY, carbon steel construction with a premium powder coated lid , durable and easy to clean
- ADEQUATE SPACE, 251 sq. inches of total cooking space
- SUPERIOR GRATES, Porcelain-enameled carbon steel cooking grates will last for the years to come
- SMART DESIGN, features 2 double steel bottom air vents for ultimate cooking results
- PERFECT for small decks or patios in the city or camping trips
Char-Broil X200 Grill2Go – Portable Barbecue
We take quite a jump in price and quality here with the Char-Broil X200 Gas Portable BBQ. I don’t often talk about gas barbecues , but they definitely have there place. This BBQ is absolutely top notch, we actually keep one in the back of our camper van and it gets used most days we are away. It is made of a heavy duty metal, with a double locking mechanism on the lid. Yes, I know you are all saying it doesn’t taste the same, but honestly food off this BBQ tastes really good, not as good as a proper BBQ, but for the convenience it is a great BBQ.
- TRU-Infrared Cooking System – cooks food evenly, with less flare-ups to give up to 50% juicier food and uses up to 30% less gas.
- Stainless Steel Burner – strong, durable burners that are built to last.
- Electronic Igniter – lights up your grill at the push of a button.
- Stainless Steel Cooking Grate – high quality and easy to clean.
- Lid-Mounted Temperature Gauge – monitor the inside temperature of your grill.
- Portable Propane Cylinder – powered by a portable 16.4 ounce disposable liquid propane cylinder (sold separately).
- 2 Years Warranty – all parts including the burners.
Weber Go-anywhere Grill
So no round up of BBQ’s would be complete without a look at a Weber BBQ. This Weber BBQ comes with the same high quality construction that many of its big brothers have. The ingenious locking system, which when folded down becomes the legs. Being a Weber, you can always get spares, but you are unlikely to need them with the 10 year guarantee they offer on the bowl, lid and handle.
- Space saving compact design
- Weather-proof handle with protective heat shield
- Porcelain-enamelled lid and bowl to withstand the elements
- Rust-proof aluminium vents regulate airflow
- Triple-plated cooking grate – 41 x 25cm
- Multi-function swivelling legs double as lid lock
- – the leg function raises the barbecue up to avoid scorching the ground or surface
- – the lock function holds the lid closed for easy transportation
- Free Charcoal measuring cup
- 1032 sq cm cooking area
- 10 year limited warranty
- Some assembly required
Bowl and lid – 10 years.
Handle – 10 years.
Charcoal grate and cooking grate – 2 years.
All other parts (legs, base, triangle, ash catcher, wheels and vents) – 2 years.
The boring bit…
Please be safe whilst using a BBQ camping, NEVER take the BBQ in to the tent or your camper van, no matter how bad the weather is even a cooling BBQ can be fatal, so please don’t do it. I know this sounds like common sense, but a number of people get taken to hospital each year with Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Follow these tips on the Camping and Caravanning Club to stay safe.